Rising Cost of Fuel

Watch this space for further updates

Worried about rising fuel costs? Here is some information that may help.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Get money back if you pay Council Tax:

  • You will get £150 back from the council to help pay your energy bills – this is called a ‘rebate’. You’ll get the rebate if you pay council tax and your home is in council tax bands A to D. You can find your band on your council tax bill or check your council tax band on GOV.UK
  • You can also get the £150 rebate if you:
  • get a Council Tax reduction – including if you get a full reduction
  • get the Disabled Band Reduction discount and your home is in band E.

Warm Home Discount Scheme: You might be able to get £140 off your electricity bill or a £140 voucher for your prepayment meter. You can get this under the Warm Home Discount Scheme if you’re either:

  • getting the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit
  • on a low income.

Winter Fuel Payment: the Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter. You can usually get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 26 September 1955.

Cold Weather Payments: Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold. You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time. You’ll only be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if you already get:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

Grants: there are also a number of grants available and further information can be found at: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-help-paying-your-bills/grants-and-benefits-to-help-you-pay-your-energy-bills/

There is also plenty of advice regarding how to efficiently heat your home and how to get advice from your energy suppliers, such as payment plans and paying your debt through your benefits.

Local food banks and fuel vouchers

Fuel Bank is currently available in selected food banks and advice agencies across Great Britain and provides a top up voucher that provides approximately two weeks’ worth of fuel to those who use a prepayment meter to heat their home and to cook with and are deemed in crisis. Contact SSAFA to ask for a referral.

To find a foodbank near you, visit; trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/

RAF Benevolent Fund – Home Fuel Grant

The RAF Benevolent Fund has recognised that a large increase in home fuel costs due to the change in the energy price cap could be causing significant financial difficulty to the RAF Family.  With effect from 1 April 2022 they are now able to offer a one off grant to assist towards home fuel costs to those RAF family households who are having difficulty with their energy costs. 

These grants can be applied for by any member of the RAF family who is on a low income and struggling to meet the increased costs. They are particularly aiming these grants at those in receipt of means tested benefits, who will be most affected as a proportion of their income by this increase. This is likely to be those in receipt of Pensions Credit, Universal Credit, or other similar benefits. Those not on means tested benefits may also be eligible if the increase in home fuel costs is causing hardship. To find out more information and eligibility for the RAF Benevolent Fund’s home fuel grants, visit rafbf.org.uk/finances

The Royal British Legion (TRBL) energy grants

During the current fuel crisis, TRBL can look to assist before individuals fall into arrears and consider a one-off grant to help reduce these costs if you use: Direct Debit, Smart Meters, Prepayment Keys or cards are topped and heating oil